Making a homemade pie completely from scratch that’s both healthful and delicious can be an intimidating task. So I’m always on the lookout for homemade options that aren’t super complicated, yet deliver on a truly yummy pie experience.
This chocolate silk pie recipe totally delivers!
The crust is super tasty, and the filling is a creamy chocolate dream. Every ingredient is plant-based, gluten-free, dairy-free and totally natural!
If pies made with chocolate filling aren’t your thing, you can still use this crust recipe for any type of pie you choose to make. SCORE!
CHOCOLATE SILK PIE
Organic Crust Ingredients:
- 1 & 1/4 cups of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/4 cup of raw walnuts (You could also use hemp seeds or cashews.)
- 1/4 cup of sorghum flour
- 1/2 cup of pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of pure vanilla extract
- Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt) to taste
Organic Filling Ingredients:
- A 15-ounce can of pure pumpkin purée (NOT pumpkin pie filling)
- 1 cup of date paste (See the NOTE below if you’ve never made date paste before.)
- 1/4 cup of cacao powder (Feel free to add more if you like a stronger chocolate flavor)
- 1/4 cup of coconut milk or other plant milk of choice (cashew, hemp, pea, oat, almond, etc.)
- 2 tablespoons of tapioca flour
- 1 & 1/2 teaspoons of pure vanilla extract
- Optional: Crushed walnuts or pecans for garnish
Ninja Preparation – Crust :
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and line a 9-inch pie pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with an S blade…add the oats, walnuts, sorghum flour and salt. Process process until finely ground. Then, add the maple syrup and vanilla, and pulse until the mixture comes together to form a dough.
- Press the dough evenly along the bottom of the pie pan and up the sides to form the pie crust. Coat your fingers in sorghum flour or wet them with water to prevent sticking. Once formed, use a fork to prick the crust in a few spots. Bake 25-30 minutes or until the crust is light brown. Allow the crust to cool completely before adding the filling.
Ninja Preparation – Filling :
- Put all the filling ingredients into your food processor and blend until smooth.
- Add the filling to the baked and cooled crust, and then garnish with the crushed nuts. (I used my food processor to blitz a palmful of walnuts for garnish.) Chill overnight or for several hours before serving.
NOTE ABOUT DATE PASTE:
Date paste is an excellent natural sweetener for recipes like this, smoothies, oatmeal and more! It’s really easy to make:
- Measure 2 cups of pitted dates, tightly packed.
- Put the dates in a bowl and soak them in water overnight or for several hours.
- Drain the water, put the soaked dates into your food processor, add a 1/2 cup of water and process until smooth.
Here’s a look at the crust fresh out of the oven. It’s so dang good, you could eat it on its own:
Cheers to making a delicious and nutritious pie completely from scratch!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Any links above may be affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE information to help you become a Whole Health Ninja. Thanks for your support!