Meatloaf is one of the ultimate comfort foods. This plant-based recipe for chickpea “meat” loaf is no exception.
It’s dense, filling and oh-so delicious! Plus it’s loaded with health-building fiber, protein, vitamins, minerals, antioxidants and some healthy fat.
Organic Meatloaf Ingredients:
- 1/2 of a large yellow onion
- 1 large carrot
- 1 large stalk of celery
- 2 cloves of garlic
- Water for sautéing
- 1.5 cups of cooked chickpeas (AKA garbanzo beans)
- 1 cup of gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of raw walnuts or hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons of ground flax seeds
- 2 tablespoons of coconut aminos
- 1.5 teaspoons of Himalayan pink salt (or sea salt) to taste
- 1 teaspoon of dried thyme (or 1 tablespoon fresh)
- Ground black pepper to taste
Organic Glaze Ingredients (tastes like ketchup):
- 2 tablespoons of tomato paste
- 1.5 tablespoons of pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar
- 1/8 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
Ninja Preparation :
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F and line a 9×5-inch loaf pan with unbleached parchment paper.
- In a food processor fitted with an S blade, add the onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Process until everything is chopped into small pieces.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add a few tablespoons of water and water-sauté the chopped veggies until they are tender.
- As the veg is cooking…combine the chickpeas, oats, walnuts, flax, aminos, thyme, salt and pepper in the food processor. Pulse a few times to combine.
- When the veggies are ready, add them to the food processor. Pulse and process until a sticky dough forms. For the best texture, you don’t want it to be totally smooth…keep it sticky and little bit chunky.
- Transfer the mixture to the lined loaf pan, then press it firmly with your fingers to pack it together into a well-formed loaf. In a small bowl, stir the glaze ingredients together and smooth it over the top of the loaf. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let the loaf cool in the pan for at least 10 minutes, then use the parchment paper to easily lift it out. Slice, serve and enjoy!
LEFTOVERS : Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days. The best way to reheat it is on a baking pan in the oven at 375 degrees F.
Here’s a look a the finished loaf. YUM!
Look at the gorgeous texture in the slices!
Cheers to making a delicious, nutritious and comforting vegan meatloaf!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Any links above may be affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE information to help you become a Whole Health Ninja. Thanks for your support!