Thanksgiving dinner. It’s one of those occasions many people look forward to all year long.
But if you’re following a clean and healthy diet, traditional Thanksgiving stuffing can cause some anxiety because it’s basically a poo storm of processed bread, butter and table salt with no nutritional value.
Never fear…your Fit Life Ninja is here with a much healthier alternative that tastes delicious!
It’s totally free of dairy, gluten and processed salt. But it’s loaded with vitamins, minerals, fiber and disease-fighting antioxidants from the natural plant-based ingredients. SCORE!
~ Yields 16 servings at 2/3 cup each ~
- 2 cups of uncooked organic quinoa
- 2 cups of purified water
- 2 cups of organic vegetable broth
- 2 tablespoons of avocado oil
- 8 organic celery stalks, chopped into small pieces (will be about 4 cups)
- 1 organic yellow onion, diced
- 2 cups of organic mushrooms, sliced
- 2 medium organic green apples, chopped with the peel on (will be about 2 cups)
- Optional: 1/2 cup of dried organic cranberries
- 1 teaspoon of Himalayan pink salt
- 1 teaspoon of organic ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of organic black pepper
NOTE: You can add other healthful veggies to the mix like spinach or broccoli. You can also omit the apples and cranberries if you don’t like sweet notes in your stuffing.
- Heat the avocado oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the celery, onion, mushrooms and apple and keep heating and stirring the mixture until everything is tender.
- Add the quinoa, water, chicken broth, salt, pepper and cumin. Bring the mixture to a rolling boil, reduce the heat to low and then cover the pan until all the liquid is absorbed (about 15 minutes) and then remove from the heat.
- Add the cranberries, cover the pan again and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with a fork and serve. You can also use this mixture to stuff your turkey.
Cheers to enjoying delicious stuffing that supports a clean and healthy diet!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links above are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE content to help you live a fit and fabulous life without busting your bank account. Thanks for your support!