Have you ever felt sick after cleaning your house with commercial cleaning products?
Have you ever gotten light-headed while cleaning, or felt like you had a burning sensation in your chest after a major scrub session?
That’s because most commercial cleaning products are loaded with toxic chemicals that you end up breathing in as you clean.
These chemicals, many of which are are linked to cancer and organ damage, also make their way into your bloodstream through your skin while you’re cleaning. YIKES!
If you’d like to learn more about what’s in the specific products you’re using, the Environmental Working Group (EWG) is a great resource.
DITCH THE TOXINS AND GO GREEN WITH YOUR CLEAN
The large companies that manufacture and sell toxic cleaning products have done an outstanding job at convincing us that we need harsh chemicals to kill bacteria, fight germs and get our homes truly clean.
Quite the opposite is true!
Not only do these types of products damage your health, they also damage every surface they touch in your home, making them even more apt to attract dirt, germs and bacteria!
The only ingredients you really need to clean your home in an effective way are:
- Liquid Castile Soap
- White Vinegar (great disinfectant)
- Baking Soda (adds abrasion and deodorizes)
- Essential Oils (especially eucalyptus, lemon, lavender, tea tree and the Germ Fighter blend from Plant Therapy)
With these simple, inexpensive and nontoxic ingredients, you can detox your home and spare yourself and your family from health-harming chemicals. Plus, you’ll save loads of money in the long run!
Essential oils are very helpful in the natural cleaning process. For example:
- Lemon essential oil can be used as a stain remover and de-gunker to dissolve sticky residue.
- Eucalyptus essential oil can be added to a load of laundry to help eliminate nasty critters like bed bugs.
- Lavender essential oil can be added to wool dryer balls as a natural way to help freshen and de-wrinkle clothes in the dryer.
- Tea tree oil can be used to help get rid of mold.
- The Germ Fighter synergy blend from Plant Therapy can be used to make all-purpose cleaner. (It also works great for making your own hand sanitizer and hand soap.)
- Your favorite essential oil can be added to a spray bottle with water to be used as an air freshener.
DIY GREEN CLEANING FORMULAS
Below are some simple DIY cleaning formulas for you to try.
You may be surprised at how amazingly effective these nontoxic formulas are. Plus, they won’t leave you feeling sick, nor will they damage any of the surfaces they touch. SCORE!
I recommend investing in glass spray bottles like these for your DIY cleaners:
- All Purpose Cleaner: Fill a medium-sized spray bottle 1/3 of the way full with white vinegar. Add 2 tablespoons of castile soap, 25-35 drops of lemon essential oil and then fill the bottle the rest of the way with water. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- Tub/Sink/Toilet Scrub: Mix a generous amount of baking soda with a little bit of white vinegar and a dash of castile soap to make a thin paste. Mix in a few drops of lemon essential oil and scrub the surface clean!
- Countertop Spray: Fill a spray bottle with a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water. Then toss in 20-30 drops of Germ Fighter essential oil for an easy counter sanitizer. Shake the bottle well before each use.
- Glass Cleaner: Fill a spray bottle with 1 cup of water and 2-3 tablespoons of white vinegar. Shake the bottle well before each use.
Cheers to to saving money and improving your health by eliminating toxic cleaners from your home!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links above are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE information to help you live a fit and fabulous life without busting your bank account. Thanks for your support!