Toner is one of the key tools in my facial skincare game. Here are the main reasons why:
1. It shrinks pores.
Toner helps to remove dirt and oil from pores, making them appear smaller.
2. It restores your skin’s pH balance.
Our skin is naturally acidic, typically with a pH balance between 5 and 6 (on a scale from 0 to 14). But that balance can get out of whack after cleansing due to the alkaline nature of soap.
When this happens, your skin needs to work overtime to return to its normal levels and that may result in excessive oil production. Toner can help restore this balance quickly.
3. It moisturizes.
Toner can help bind moisture into your skin.
4. It adds a layer of protection.
Toners can help close pores and tighten cell gaps after cleansing, thus reducing the penetration of impurities and environmental contaminants into the skin. It can even protect and remove chlorine and minerals that are present in tap water.
5. It refreshes skin.
Toner can be used in lieu of always washing your face. For example, when you wash your face before going to bed, it’s not necessary to wash it with soap again in the morning. Simply rinse your face with warm water and apply some toner, followed by your daily moisturizer. It will leave your skin feeling clean, refreshed and revitalized.
The Problem with Most Store-Bought Toners
Most toners you’ll find in stores contain toxic ingredients. And the select few that don’t tend to come with a hefty price tag.
The good news is it’s really easy and inexpensive to make your own natural facial toner that will help your skin glow!
THE DIY FORMULA
This facial toner is a snap to make! Here’s the simple formula:
- Purified water (I use this to purify my tap water.)
- Apple cider vinegar (Make sure it’s raw, unfiltered, organic and “With the Mother” like Bragg.)
- Optional: Lavender essential oil (I get mine here.)
- Optional: Frankincense frereana essential oil (I get mine here.)
- Small glass container (I use 4-ounce glass mason jars like these.)
- For normal to dry skin, mix 1/3 part vinegar to 2/3 parts water. I typically mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 2 tablespoons of water at a time. Then I add the essential oils – 4 drops of lavender and 3 drops of frankincense.
- If you have oily skin, mix 1/2 part vinegar to 1/2 part water. I would simply mix 1 tablespoon of vinegar with 1 tablespoon of water at a time, and then add the essential oils if you choose to include them – 3 drops of lavender and 2 drops of frankincense.
- Store the toner in a glass container at room temperature, and shake it well before each use to remix the ingredients.
- Use the toner twice daily – once after washing your face before bed and again in the morning after rinsing your face with warm water (this is an effective way to cleanse your face without washing it again to prevent drying your skin out from over-washing.) After the morning application, you’ll be all set to apply your daily moisturizer, makeup, etc.
HOW THE INGREDIENTS WORK
Apple Cider Vinegar: Though it is acidic, ACV helps regulate the pH balance of facial skin. It has antibacterial and anti-inflammatory properties that help it treat acne, reduce redness, exfoliate skin and reduce wrinkles. It’s an excellent toning agent for all skin types!
Lavender Essential Oil: This oil has natural tissue regeneration properties that actually help your skin heal. It also cools and eases the sting of blemishes and sunburns. It even helps to prevent scarring.
Frankincense Frereana Essential Oil: This oil is prized for its skin rejuvenating properties. It smoothes the appearance of scars and wrinkles, and soothes dry and damaged skin. (I use it in my all-over body oil, too!)
Cheers to toning your facial skin in a natural way for glowing results!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links above are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE content to help you live a fit and fabulous life without busting your bank account. Thanks for your support!