You’ve decided you’re done drinking cow’s milk, or lactose intolerance has decided it for you. So now you need to choose an alternative.
There’s rice milk, but its high glycemic index can cause your blood sugar to spike. Then there’s soy milk, but that can cause problems with hormone levels. Coconut milk is a healthy option, but you don’t love the taste. What to do???
Never fear, almond milk is here!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF ALMOND MILK
In addition to having a light and refreshing taste, almond milk has multiple health benefits:
- Supports heart health. There’s no cholesterol or saturated fat in almond milk. Plus, it’s low in sodium and high in healthy fats like omega fatty acids, which help prevent high blood pressure and heart disease.
- Helps with weight management. There are about 60 calories in 1 cup of almond milk making it a calorie-friendly option.
- Keeps your body strong and your skin glowing. Almond milk is loaded with many vitamins and minerals your body needs: calcium and vitamin D for strong bones and teeth, B vitamins like iron and riboflavin for muscle growth and healing, and vitamin E for skin health.
- Reduces your risk for diabetes. Because of its low glycemic index, almond milk will not cause your blood sugar to spike. Your body will use its carbs as energy instead of storing them as fat.
- Aids in digestion. Almond milk contains fiber, which helps keep your digestion in check.
WHY YOU SHOULD MAKE YOUR OWN
If you buy almond milk in the store, here’s what a typical list of the milk’s ingredients looks like:
That’s an awfully long list for milk that only requires 3 ingredients! Other than water, almonds and sea salt, most of these ingredients function as preservatives and thickening agents. And some of them (like carrageenan) have been linked to health issues like digestive difficulty. Ew!
Good news! Almond milk is really easy to make yourself and only requires 3 simple ingredients.
Cheers to enjoying almond milk that’s fresh, delicious and isn’t loaded with unnecessary ingredients!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: The links above are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE content to help you live a fit and fabulous life without busting your bank account. Thanks for your support!