If you don’t consume dairy foods, are looking to reduce your dairy intake or are lactose intolerant like me, you’ve probably already explored the world of dairy-free milks.
The most common healthy alternatives are almond milk, coconut milk and hemp milk. Unfortunately, when they are commercially produced, these milks include health-sabotaging ingredients like syrups for sweetening and carrageenan for thickening. That’s why I highly recommend making your own.
I know, I know. There aren’t enough hours in the day as it is. But making non-dairy milks yourself is actually quite simple, since they only require a couple ingredients and a blender.
Let’s take a look at one of the simplest DIY options of all…
MEET QUINOA MILK
Photo Cred: Thrive Market
Quinoa milk needs to get more attention as an ideal non-dairy option. Here’s why:
- It is a nutrition powerhouse that’s LOADED with plant-based protein, fiber, antioxidants and important minerals like magnesium and iron.
- It is UNBELIEVABLY easy and inexpensive to make using just 2 ingredients: quinoa and water.
- It is TOTALLY void of common allergens like nuts, lactose and gluten.
And yes, it tastes delicious! If I had to compare it to the flavor of another milk, I’d say it tastes the most like almond milk.
Before I get into the super simple recipe for DIY quinoa milk, let’s cover some quick facts about quinoa:
- It is pronounced “KEEN-wah.”
- Though it’s commonly referred to as a grain, it’s actually a seed.
- It is totally gluten free.
- There are 3 main types of quinoa: white, red and black. (We’ll be using white for this milk recipe.)
- It is non-GMO and almost always grown organically. (Wouldn’t it be great if this was the case for all harvested foods?!)
- It is super easy to prepare. Just bring 1 cup of dry quinoa to 3 cups of water to a boil in a saucepan, cover it, turn off the heat and let it sit until all the water is totally absorbed and the quinoa is full and fluffy.
- One cup of dry quinoa quadruples when it’s cooked, making about 4 cups of cooked goodness.
As with any other milk, you can drink quinoa milk on its own or add it to smoothies, oatmeal, baking recipes, etc.
WANT TO SAVE MONEY ON HEALTHY PANTRY STAPLES LIKE QUINOA?
You can save a nice chunk of change on healthy pantry staples like quinoa by getting a membership to an online marketplace called Thrive Market. Their prices are an average of 35% cheaper than retail. Think Whole Foods inventory with Costco pricing!
You’ll also save money on loads of other products like healthy snacks, non-toxic beauty and personal care items, health supplements, household supplies and pet goods by joining Thrive Market.
Everything is delivered right to your door instead of you having to hunt around for what you need. SCORE! Click here to learn more or to get started today.
Cheers to enjoying this super simple and healthy milk made with your own two hands!
With love and gratitude,
DISCLOSURE: Many of the links above are affiliate links, which means I earn a small commission – at no additional cost to you – if you purchase a product through them. (Click here to view my full Disclaimer & Disclosure statement.) This helps me continue providing FREE content to help you live a fit and fabulous life without busting your bank account. Thanks for your support!